Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Spaghetti Squash with Sausage

What kind of sorcery witchcraft turns this ... 


Into this...


Craziness! I know I'm a little late to the spaghetti squash party, but now that I showed up, I'm thinking I may never leave. 

It seems like absolute magic that you can put two halves of a squash on a baking sheet in an oven preheated to 350 degrees, cook for 40 minutes, shred each half with a fork and suddenly have a plate of 70-calorie spaghetti. 

Let's be real: it doesn't taste exactly like pasta. It's still a veggie. But it's such a perfectly mild-tasting veggie, strong enough to stand up to a meat sauce without getting soggy and soft enough to mimic the consistency of pasta. 

Cooking squash this way seems like a fairly new phenomenon (I don't remember anyone's mom serving this at a sleepover!), but spaghetti squash apparently has been cultivated and grown in the U.S. since at least the 1930s. Do a search on Pinterest and you'll find a spaghetti squash recipe to replace every favorite pasta dish you ever had...can I get an amen for that?

Have you tried it? What's your favorite spaghetti squash cooking trick or recipe? Do tell, because I'm looking for inspiration!

3 comments:

Heather said...

I've never tried spaghetti squash, but I'm all about zoodles (zucchini noodles). It's not pasta, but it's really good, and using the spiralizer makes them look like actual noodles.

Anonymous said...

I did the whole 30 plan as part of a gym challenge earlier in the year and feel in love with it!! Your right its not pasta but considering its the next best thing.....I usually cook my on Sunday afternoons and keep in the fridge for quick weeknight meals just add meat and sauce!! I use is as a side dish as well.

Laura R. said...

I wish I could insert clapping hands emoji here. :)