Friday, June 20, 2014

Savannah 2014: We Ate, We Drank, We Conquered

This week has been a hectic one, but I had to take time to write about my trip to Savannah last weekend! Just like we rocked it in 2013, Bret and I ate and drank our way through the dang town. Here's some shots of what we enjoyed, if you'd like to see:

We kicked off our weekend at our must-stop: Vinnie Van GoGo's. My HUGE slice of pizza had feta, sun-dried tomatoes and onions and was scrumptious.

 On Sunday, we revisited our favorite spot from last year, Tybee Island Social Club. I had my first ceviche (seriously! I'd never had it before) and it was delicious. I also sampled the red hibiscus sangria, while Bret and his mom went spicy, sampling the put-hair-on-your-chest Jalapeno Margarita and the Del Fuego, featuring muddle jalapeno, agave nectar, fresh lime juice, Mezcal and ginger beer.

 Later that night, we stopped again at Chive Sea Bar & Lounge for before-dinner drinks. Bret started his round with The Flaming June, with vodka, a kaffir lime leaf, freshly squeezed citrus, Thai chili pepper and a hint of honey. I had a Melon Mule, a twist on the Moscow Mule with delicious melon liquor.

 For our second round, Bret had the super-refreshing Cucumber Basil Cocktail, including vodka, St. Germain, fresh cucumber and basil. I had my new fave, The Bohemian, featuring gin, St. Germain, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, and a dash of bitters.

From there, we moved on to dinner at The Public Kitchen and Bar, which had another great drink menu! For our first go-round, Bret had the Rosemary Mule, with gin, ginger syrup, muddled rosemary and ginger beer and I had the Smoky Peach, a truly smoky-sweet mix of Mezcal, Peach Schnapps, Jack Rudy grenadine, soda and grapefruit bitters.

 To eat, I went crazy and got the Carolina burger, with slaw, cheddar, a BBQ ketchup and a pretzel bun. It was delicious, but messy as all get out. I had the pasta salad on the side, which was just okay.

 And for our last and final booze-soaked round, Bret tried a sip of one too-sweet cocktail, sent it back like a boss and then made the correct decision to finish strong with the Basil Gimlet, with bluecoat gin, muddled basil and lime juice, while I finished with the Sweet Tea Smash, featuring Makers 46, St. Germain, fresh lemon juice, fresh mint and iced tea. When in Georgia, you must drink sweet tea!

And drink sweet tea I did the next morning at our final brunch, again at Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room, the best Southern food you've ever seen, smelled or digested.

It was a delicious visit down south! Next up, my recap of the best part: the shopping!

No comments: