Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Rubber Duckies, Art Festivals, BBQ & 80s Music

 Whew! What a busy, but great weekend. My Saturday was packed full of art and fun, starting early with a visit to the Rubber Duck at the Chrysler Museum (it's only here until the 26th!), and then a nice walk along the Hague to the Stockley Gardens Spring Festival. I was sad not to be able to see the whole thing in the time allowed, but I was really excited to see some cool new artists included.
I liked these abstract pieces by Andi Helfant-Frye, whose artist's statement said it was an adventure for her after a long time doing only representational works.

 I loved the cartoonish quality of this new work by Milenko Katic, whose horse paintings have always been some of my favorites in the past.

 I loved the swirly agate quality of these paintings by Anne Murphy. They would make amazing fabrics!

And most of all, I was intrigued and inspired by the copper work by Tracery 157.

After my quick jaunt through Stockley, Ashleigh picked me up for a beach day at Chic's Beach! We had drinks and lunch at Buoy 44, listened to hot jams on the beach and even swam briefly in the chilly, chilly water!


From there, we headed across the water from Norfolk to Portsmouth and enjoyed one of our favorite annual traditions, the Portsmouth Service League Beer, Band & BBQ. We ate too much BBQ, drank plenty of Blue Moon and danced our damn fannies off to The Deloreans, truly the greatest 80s cover band there ever was. It was, as Ashleigh proclaimed it, a perfect day.

No comments: