Friday, January 24, 2014

Jams of the Week

Music Jam: Blood Orange


I first heard Devonte Hynes' work as Blood Orange on a college radio station while driving through North Carolina in 2011 and immediately Shazaam'd it and added the song, "Sutphin Road" into my heavy rotation. In the fall, Blood Orange came out with a superb album that I'm just getting around to adding to my Spotify. This had me dancing around the kitchen.

Passing the Time Jam: Crossword Puzzles

Sean and I are officially 70 years old! Our favorite ways to challenge our brains these days are nightly viewings of Jeopardy and collaborating on crossword puzzles. I've always been awful at them, but splitting the work between us makes it really fun.

Movie Jam: The Spectacular Now

I just got around to watching this movie, which was on my wish list over the summer. It's a sweet 21st-century classic high school pic in the vein of "Say Anything" and "The Breakfast Club." If I didn't love the story, I did love the performances from Shailene Woodley, Miles Teller, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Kyle Chandler (playing the bad man for once!).

Couture Jam: Schiaparelli

I am thrilled about the revival of the couture line, Schiaparelli, at the hands of Marco Zanini. He has done a masterful job of capturing Elsa Schiaparelli's sense of whimsy and color and fun without trotting out unimaginative replicas of her greatest hits. It's going to be such fun to watch the evolution.

No comments: