Friday, January 10, 2014

Jams of the Week

I'm happy to be back to posting what I've been into these days! Here are some of the things I've been loving lately.

Mobile App Jam: Jeopardy

I just downloaded the Jeopardy mobile app game and it's a great way to end the day before bed! The questions are multiple choice, so you don't feel super dumb AND you can rack up high earnings like it's nothin. 

Author Jam: Cheryl Strayed


I started reading the Dear Sugar advice column on The Rumpus in 2010 and quickly fell in love with the then-anonymous author's personal, heartfelt, tough love with a kiss column. Strayed has since revealed her identity and her columns were collected into Tiny Beautiful Things, which literally has me laughing and crying with every page turn. 

I also just finished reading her memoir about hiking the Pacific Crest Trail; "Wild" has attracted criticism from some who thought she was frustratingly unprepared and selfish....those people missed the point. It's a beautiful story of challenging yourself to be found when you realize you're completely lost, no different from Thoreau at Walden Pond.

DIY Goddess Jam: Nicole Curtis

Sean and I spent an entire Friday night recently watching a new-to-us DIY Network show called "Rehab Addict," and host Nicole Curtis is basically my new feminist hero. She buys condemned homes and turns them back into jewels, restoring as much character as possible...basically my dream job if I had the skills.
Winter Style Jam: Leather Gloves

I've been surviving winter weather just great wearing my new ladylike Coach leather gloves from my mother-in-law...I LOVE them.

Oscar Contender Jam: "Nebraska"

Don't get me wrong...there are SO MANY great performances this year, especially in the crowded lead actor categories. But it would be easy to overlook "Nebraska," a great little movie by Alexander Payne that I just loved. If it happens to come to your local theater, don't miss it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nicole Curtis is amazing. Did you see the episodes regarding the dollar house? I was completely blown away by the transformation. I love that she wants to save everything she can, whereas every other renovation show on DIY & HGTV just wants to demolish the old and make everything new & modern.