Tuesday, August 27, 2013

What's New Around Our House

When you're pretty maxed out on space for furniture, you have to do little things to spruce up home. I thought I'd share some little tidbits of new things 'round our casa. I got around to hanging this lovely print we bought from Frederick Nichols a couple weeks ago. It's the first thing I see when I wake up!

 In the guest bedroom, I finally got to put my West Elm shibori-inspired tie dye shams to use.

 I picked up this cool geometric vase at the gift shop for the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts and finally grabbed some flowers to use it. I'm a sucker for cool white bud vases.

 A story about our bathroom: when we moved in, I got it into my head I needed to try to steer clear of "girly" and be as gender neutral as possible. But over time, this bathroom evolved into being my bathroom and after 4 years of the same beige-on-beige-on-beige gender neutral blahs, I decided to cheer up my bathroom.

 Katie and I popped over to World Market, and I bought this cool grey-and-gold peacock print shower curtain, and I tell you, changing your shower curtain is one of the cheapest things you can do to instantly make yourself feel awesome! A little change goes a long way. I think it really livened up the room, and it was interesting to see how the brassy color of the gold brought out the brassy doorknob.

 It inspired me to go grab my Van Gogh print from the guest bedroom and put it up in the bathroom. True story: I bought that print from the Met when I was in 6th grade. What an old friend it is!

 During our antiquing adventures, I ended up buying this art nouveau brass frame that is just gorgeous. I don't have the right picture for it yet, but for now, it's just doing a lovely job being glamorous.

And last but not least, I have a lovely Laduree box on our dresser straight from my in-law's trip to Paris this spring. Sadly, it doesn't hold macarons, but it will do a fine job holding change/bobby pins/receipts or whatever.

What's your favorite low-cost way to spruce up your home? I'm pretty sure normal people rearrange their furniture, but once I find a good layout, I'm pretty stuck on it.

No comments: