Friday, July 5, 2013

Fourth of July in Colonial Williamsburg


 I hope you had a happy Fourth of July! Longtime readers know it's my most favorite holiday. I love it because it's entirely about unity and something all Americans share in common; it's not a religious holiday and you aren't obligated to spend it with certain people. It's just about celebrating hard work and sacrifice made hundreds of years ago with good food, good friends and FIREWORKS!

Every year I take special care to don my red, white and blue, so here's the obligatory outfit shot. As you know, I'm obsessed with this Old Navy dress this summer.

 Sean even got in the spirit and wore his Nats T-shirt!
 In the time we've lived in Hampton Roads, I've seen the fireworks in Yorktown/Gloucester, Fort Monroe, Newport News and Norfolk. This was the first year we went to Colonial Williamsburg, and I have to say, I think I've found my new favorite tradition. While the fireworks show itself wasn't lengthy, the actual pyrotechnics were impressive. More than that, guests are treated to a free concert from the Virginia Symphony Orchestra, who played all the classics of Americana, from Aaron Copland to Gershwin to Sousa to Cohen. I was dancing in my chair!

As for Fourth of July eats, Sean and I ate bison burgers real quick before we headed out to Williamsburg, then noshed on Asti, cheese doodles, cherries and watermelon. It was divine! 

Because it's my favorite holiday, I love to see how other cities celebrate. So far in my life, I've celebrated the Fourth in Norton, Va.; Big Stone Gap, Va.; Washington, D.C.; Matawan, N.J.; Manhattan (twice); Lexington, Va.; Staunton, Va.; Fort Monroe, Va.; Newport News; Norfolk, Yorktown/Gloucester and Williamsburg. We also visited Independence Hall on July 3 one year. Where are the best celebrations you've attended? I gotta add them to my list!

No comments: