Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Steak Marinade, John Legend-Style

The internet is a magical place. I googled "best steak marinade" and scrolled past a few links, including one from All Recipes called "best steak marinade," until my eye landed on this blog entry, called "John's Best Steak Marinade in Existence."

I was intrigued, so I clicked the link and was surprised to find a picture of none other than John Legend, showing off his steak marinade. What?! Apparently his fiance has a cooking blog, just like the rest of us, and she wrote an entry about his favorite steak ever. Turns out, he did exactly what I did: googled "best steak marinade ever" and landed on that All Recipes link. An endorsement from John Legend was good enough for me!

In a bowl, I combined:
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (watch this part...I might have gone a touch overboard)
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 3 tablespoons dried basil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce...I put in some hot sauce (optional)

I marinated the steaks for the day, while I was at work, and popped those bad boys on the grill pan as soon as I got home. Easy breezy!

The marinade was tangy and flavorful...I put a touch too much lemon juice in, but we both agreed John Legend did not steer us wrong.

No comments: