Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Chipotle Meatloaf


 Meatloaf, in its uncooked state, looks like Fancy Feast. Meatloaf, in its cooked form, looks like a very dangerous bowel movement. And yet, it's totally tasty! It's a food meant for the blind.

Sean started a new job this week (exciting!!) and that merited a victory dinner of his choosing. Of course, he chose the thing I find most disgusting to make: meatloaf. I decided to give Bon Appetit's chipotle meatloaf a shot, with two variations: I left out the chopped peppers and didn't use fresh herbs.

First things first, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, combine the meat of your choosing (I used a pre-mix of beef, pork and veal), chopped bacon, onions, celery, carrots, thyme, cilantro, rosemary, salt, pepper, heavy cream, 3 eggs and panko bread crumbs. Plunge your hands into that toxic mess and mush it all together until it somewhat resembles cat food or pate.

My Papa got me this sweet meatloaf pan, so I was excited to use it! Load the meat mixture into the loaf pan and try to make it look loaf-like. Pop it in the oven for 35 minutes or so.

While the meatloaf cooked, I mixed some leftover adobo sauce that I saved from a can of chipotle peppers a while back with several squirts of ketchup until I had the right balance of spicy-sweet tang.

 After checking on the meat at the 35-minute mark, I slathered the chipotle ketchup on top and let it bake for about 10 more minutes before pulling it out to slice it up.

It still looked gross, but tasted delicious. The smoky ketchup is spicy, so keep that in mind! Not for everybody, but certainly interesting.

And it looks about this appealing in the pan. Ewwwwwww...and yet...Mmmmmmmm.

No comments: