Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Beers and Breakfasts

My sister in law Katie was visiting this past weekend and as such, we ended up on an inadvertent beer tour of Hampton Roads, with a little brunch in Richmond thrown in the mix.

On Friday, we went to our fave, County Grill. I had my new favorite pumpkin beer: Pumking! It is magically delicious.

 On Saturday, we finally made it to Birch Bar in Norfolk, where we sampled amazing, difficult-to-pronounce and hard-to-find beers. I enjoyed this Gueza Lambic...a little sour, but still lovely. Another guy in our party had a chipotle porter and it was AMAZING. We followed up with dinner at Public House, where I learned that tempura-battered asparagus is fabulous and mac and cheese needs truffle dust.

 On Sunday, Katie and I ventured to have brunch with Becky (who wrote a guest post for me here) at The Black Sheep. The restaurant specializes in subs, err...battleships, that once enticed Man vs. Food for an episode. As tempting as that was ...

 I opted for "French Toast Fit for the King," an Elvis-inspired mix of French toast, peanut butter, bacon and grilled bananas topped with Pepsi syrup. It was as awesome as that sounds.

 Katie got the Bayou Breakfast, with fried catfish, grits, crawfish hollandaise and grilled andouille sausage.

Thanks to Becky for inviting us to such a fun spot! I'm thinking King-inspired French Toast might have to be added to the cooking repertoire.

1 comment:

Tallulah Bankrobber said...

That french toast looked pretty amazing! Thanks to you and Kate for coming all the way to Richmond, surviving a fly cocktail and waiting for Babbie and her friend to arrive!