Monday, August 20, 2012

New Pottery + I Spy in Hilton Village

This weekend, I took some time to head down to Hilton Village in Newport News for a little treasure-hunting. Hilton Village was one of the earliest planned communities in America, with sweet homes from the 30's and 40's surrounding a block of commercial properties — the original mixed-use development. I've been wanting to go to Rooms, Blooms and More, a local consignment decor store, for a while and it did not disappoint!

I saw lots of lovelies, but my favorite was this $6.25 planter by Terrace Ceramics that reminded me so much of the covetable pottery by Frances Palmer. I've given up hope of keeping plants alive, at least not with the minimal amount of sunlight we get, so I popped a moss ball in there. Sean, of course, wondered what its purpose was. Sigh.

Down the road is Plantiques, a favorite shop of mine. I saw a lot of great stuff (which you'll see below), but I was most taken with this $12 jade-green faux bamboo ceramic vase. Very lovely and on-trend...it reminded me of the beautiful bamboo lamps at High Street Market. I just popped my wedding flowers in there for a sec...I promise my flower-arranging skills are a bit better than that! 

Here are some other treasures I found at Plantiques. I loved this blue Japanese tray, for $21. I thought it would look so elegant on a mini-bar, holding bar tools, or holding soaps and make-up brushes in the bathroom. It's classic, but blends great with modern pieces, as well.

This bowl/vase was so unique...it almost reminded me of an ancient chalice. It would look amazing holding bunches of green hydrangea. It was $19, I think.

At first this struck me as weird, but then it reminded me of the kind of thing you'd buy at Anthropologie for $98. It was a $25 stacking jar, with wood dividers. Would be amazing for a picnic!

There's also a seller who specializes in the antiques-with-a-twist style decor we all see all over Pinterest. The products are perfect for someone who wants the DIY look, minus the effort. The seller has paper wreaths, spray-painted sconces, chalkboards aplenty...


I thought this quirky embroidered map of the Northeast would be great on a gallery wall. I love the little coal miner in Pennsylvania!


And speaking of embroidery, I thought this one of strawberries (part of a set of 4) was quite cute and could look adorable in a little girl's nursery or in a country-inspired kitchen. I liked that the framing was quite modern and timeless at the same time.

Considering my little ceramic treasures cost less than $20 combined, I'm calling it a successful venture! Have you had any treasure-hunting luck lately? Any of you Hampton Roads residents have a spot I should check out?

No comments: