Thursday, July 7, 2011

Watermelon Feta Bruschetta

Longtime readers will recall my 2009 summertime romance with the combination of watermelon and feta cheese, but for those of you who missed it, I have a new spin on the combination for you today. 

For wine club this week, we decided to do a simple potluck and I wanted to put together something easy, summery and refreshing, so I made watermelon feta bruschetta. ANYONE could make this and it packs a real punch. It also vanished super quickly, so I learned my lesson and will be making more next time. Here goes (don't mind the awful pics...fluorescent lighting + being in a rush + making the meal in a yellow bowl = awful pictures):


Chop up red onion.


Buy pre-cut chunks of watermelon and cut them into smaller pieces. Try to remove any seeds to come across. Add to bowl with onions.


Add Feta cheese.


Add basil. You could mince it...I cut mine chiffonade style.


Drizzle the mixture with olive oil and a quick dash of balsamic vinegar, along with salt and pepper to taste. I used pink salt and ground peppercorns cause, girl, I'm fancy! Put a lid on the bowl and shake it up, et voila! You have a dish!


I brought french bread rounds from The Fresh Market, but if you wanted to make your own, you can cut a narrow French baguette into slices, rub each side with a garlic clove and then toast (they're great on the grill, too!). The watermelon feta bruschetta was a huuuuuuge success, and if you like strong flavors, it tastes like summer feels.

No comments: