Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sunday in the City

I had a great weekend visiting family in New Jersey, and had a fun-filled Sunday in the city. It was truly wonderful to be in New York on the day of the Pride March, only a couple days after gay marriage was approved in the state, so the day had a celebratory tone. I celebrated by eating my way through town, shopping for home stuff (and buying jewelry instead) and seeing far-flung friends! I thought I'd share some snapshots, friends:


We started the day with delicious burgers and fries from 5 Napkin Burgerin Hell's Kitchen, recommended by our friends Paul and Valerie. I had the original 5 Napkin Burger (they are not kidding about the name!) with gruyere, caramelized onions and rosemary aioli. It was dripping down my chin and so great. 



Next, we wandered through the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market, browsing stalls of vintage costume jewelry, old objets like vintage dice and lead type and captain's trunks. I ended up taking hold a fake gold necklace with little buddhas and fake jade beads, but I secretly wished I took this home:



We took the subway down to the Flatiron District and after catching a few minutes of the Pride March, went to ABC Home. They happened to be having a 30 percent off spring sale, and I about died of indecision about what to bring home with me. I didn't take a picture of it, but I ended up with a very simple glass box (sorta like these) that I hope to stash my old gem collection inside.


My dear pal Bret and I also revived an old in-joke when we spotted this Andy Warhol memorial in Union Square. His real last name was Warhola, or as we like to say, "War-HOLLA!!!"

We met up with our childhood friend Rula and my college friend Lauren for dinner at Almond Restaurant, which was unpretentious but just fancy enough to make us feel like big grown-ups. I didn't take pictures (I know! I must have been on my best behavior!) but I had the Orangerie cocktail, Pea and Lemon Ravioli and a foodie take on strawberry shortcake with panna cotta on the side. 

Other notable side story: We were killing time resting in Madison Square Park and I was making big hand motions, as I normally do, and I accidentally punched a bird! No joke! It flew into my fist just as I was raising it, bounced off of Bret and tumbled into the bushes. We think it survived, but I was totally shocked. I literally yelled, "That just happened!!!"

Anyway, it was a wonderful day in the city, but I can't wait until I have time to spend more than a day at a time!

1 comment:

Suzanne Tate said...

That cheeseburger looks so good it makes me swoon! Sounds like you had a terrific visit to NYC.