Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Summer Style Essentials


Glendale Junior College students dancing on the beach, 1947, from LIFE.

This weekend was such a tease, tempting us with long days and hot temps and hours of free time. One can't help but start thinking about barbecues and swimsuits and sand between toes and road trips. I personally am very seriously looking at hatchback cars, so I spent my entire weekend researching car stuff, and the prospect of a new car has me itchy to go road tripping.

Esther Williams, 1951, from LIFE

Sophia Loren picnicking in 1961, LIFE.

I'm also fantasizing about the perfect summer wardrobe. Most of these things are way out of my price range, but are good inspiration pieces. My ideal summer look would have a twist on the striped top, a seersucker dress, a bright silk blouse, espadrilles and gold sandals, oversized tortoiseshell cat-eyes, a modern and sculptural druzy necklace and most importantly, neon nail polish! Add a pair of cropped jeans and you've got an entire travel bag, packed and ready to go!
Summer day dress
$58 - fredflare.com

Sonia by Sonia Rykiel long sleeve top
$219 - my-wardrobe.com

Marc jacobs shoes
$445 - barneys.com

H&M wedge shoes
15 GBP - hm.com

Metal ball necklace
$178 - maxandchloe.com

Forever21 tortoise sunglass
$5.80 - forever21.com

Neon Nail Polish
$6 - americanapparel.net

No comments: