Friday, March 11, 2011

Today I Like ... Downton Abbey

I spent my entire Sunday doing laundry and watching Masterpiece Theater's "Downton Abbey." I LOVED it. If you're not familiar, it's a classic drama by the author of "Gosford Park" that focuses on the lives of a well-to-do country family trying to secure the fate of their rambling property and the servant soap opera happening downstairs. As with any period film, it was a visual treat, and takes place in the year following the sinking of the Titanic. I love me some Edwardian fashions, so I thought I'd put together little ways to incorporate the look into our lives.

The upstairs was decorated with its fair share of fusty antiques, in vivid colors and patterns.


Get the Look

  1. Most of the characters spend a lot of time in black, because it takes place directly following the Titanic sinking, so I suggest adding some fake jet earrings to your wardrobe. $5.80 at Forever 21.
  2. You must protect that porcelain complexion in the sun! You'll need a lace parasol, $39.95 at Victorian Trading Company.
  3. Be a little fashion forward with this poster of Paul Poiret designs.
  4. Get your Mary Poppins on with this fabulous straw boater, $24 at Urban Outfitters.
  5. Every lady needs a couch to catch her when she falls, and this one's in mauve, which was Tsarina Alexandria's favorite color. Fainting couch, $579 at Urban Outfitters.
  6. Any woman can wear a string of pearls, but a lady wears them long. Opera-length pearls, $225 at J. Crew.

The downstairs was sturdy and serviceable, but very handsome. It has a very Martha Stewart vibe!





  1. A cook's luxury: A Mauviel Hammered Copper pot, $520 at Williams-Sonoma.
  2. I am in love with the classic Jenny Lind bed, named for a Swedish songstress. This one goes for $500 to $600 at The Land of Nod.
  3. I quite prefer the servants' simple Ironstone dishes, $45 at Etsy.
  4. And the pewter creamer is equally timeless. $39 at Saks Fifth Avenue.
  5. And although it belongs upstairs, the occasional antique snuff box makes its way downstairs.
Supposedly a second season of the program will be filmed! I can't wait!

No comments: