Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Pie Chips

I am not a brunch or breakfast person. I don't like eggs, I'm not crazy over pancakes or waffles and I crave hash browns about once every two years.

But I like the idea of brunch, and I recently saw this great fruit salsa recipe in Cuisine for Two and thought that would make a great brunch or lunch dish.

Before we go any further, know that I can not honestly say I ate this entire dish. That's because I made one VERY BIG mistake. I ignored their directions to not mix until it's time to serve. I made the dish the night before I was going to eat it and it congealed into fruit mush and the strawberries became a juice. Not great.

Trust me, it's good. Just not after a night in the fridge.

So first, I sliced some strawberries, then kiwi. I also had pineapple chunks and diced peaches on hand.

Meanwhile, I pulled out a frozen pie crust Sean had bought for me. I asked him to buy frozen pie crust thinking he'd buy a sheet that I could easily cut into triangles. Nope, that is not what happened.

Instead, I tried desperately to cut a circle into even-sized triangles to disastrous results. You shall see.

Mixed cinnamon and sugar for the pie chips; these will be the "tortillas" to your "salsa."

Melted some butter.

Then brushed the pie chips with butter and sprinkled very generously with cinnamon sugar. I then popped these bad boys in the oven just long enough to turn golden brown.

Chopped some fresh mint.

I then mixed honey and lime juice to create a dressing for the salsa.

Tossed all the fruit together, with the mint and the dressing!

I think this would be excellent SERVED IMMEDIATELY for brunch. But with time to congeal and basically get gross, it was not good the next day.

ALSO: pie crust is the worst idea for this. It's too flaky to hold up under the weight of the salsa, so I would definitely go with cinnamon pita chips.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

When I was a kid, I used to get Mom's homemade crust that she had leftover and make "cookies" out of it. I'd just sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar and that was it. I hadn't thought of using them this way, but it seems that (like you said) the sweet pita chips might do better.

ashleigh t. said...

You could also try cutting tortillas into triangles and sprinkle the "sweets" on then bake. They make yummy chips.