Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Wino Champagne Party

My wine club finished up the year with a champagne holiday party, which was super fun. We tried many champagnes, some that tasted like dirty socks and eggs and some that tasted divine. I wish I could say I kept meticulous notes but I didn't, so I can just tell you what I vaguely remember. We had:

  • Sofia Blanc de Blancs: Created by Francis Ford Coppola's winery for his daughter Sofia's wedding. I enjoy Sofia, especially in a discreet can, but Lauren thought it tasted like dirty socks. I'd still love to try the Rose.
  • It looks like that says Cruse, but I can't find mention of it on the internets. Help, friends?
  • Korbel Sweet Rose: A lovely wine, very sweet and fruity. But I won't lie. Sparkling rose is sparkling rose when you're on your fifth or sixth tasting.
  • Sant'Orsola Asti: Everyone's favorite, but no surprise — it's asti!
  • Cook's Brut Champagne: A medium-dry champagne; always good and thankfully inexpensive.
  • Um...this one had a reindeer on it? Help?
  • Freixenet Cordon Negro Bruit: Its web site says it has notes of citrus; I don't remember much about it.
  • Korbel Brut Rose: Similar to the other one, but a little dryer and still fruity. I like anything pink and this was our pink, so I am biased.
  • Cook's Extra Dry Brut: I don't know if I remember this one, but its site says it is "yeasty." lol.
  • Andre Extra Dry: Scoff if you want, but I think the reason Andre is both cheap and easy to get is because it is mild, sweet and delicious. Make it rain, ya'll.
  • Perrier-Jouet: A perfect example of how my palate is still not developed. Erica splurged and bought us this gorgeous bottle of one of the finest champagnes in the world, and I said, "Hm...this reminds me of eggs." What can I say? I like 'em sweet.
Strawberry slices make everything better.

Erica taught us all, including Ashleigh up here, how to sword a bottle. In other words, we learned how to take a sword or a kitchen knife and open a champagne bottle. Here's a video to teach you how to do it.

What you need to do:
1. Use a bottle with a natural cork.
2. Remove foil and cage.
3. Find the seam in the glass.
4. Pointing the bottle downward, run the dull side of a blade (sword or chef's knife) along the seam and slice toward the bottle top. It's really that easy.
5. Turn the bottle back upward to let the foam drip and check for pieces of glass. If done properly, you should have a clean cut.

Check my anxiety!

VICTORY!!

But if you like to do it old-school, Erica has a handy tip: wrap the bottle with a dish towel and simply twist the cork off. No messy pops involved!

Ta-Da!

Look! Sean even came to wine club! And dressed up!

Good girl shot.

Silly girl shot!

Panning shot!

It was a wonderful way to kick off the holiday week and I'm super excited to show off my champagne knowledge on New Year's. I really want to try Veuve-Clicquot. What can I say? I'm a sucker for packaging.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, fun! By the way, I'm pretty sure the unnamed bottle in pic 2 is Electric Reindeer. World Market sells it.

Bret said...

I LOOOOOOOOVE Andre! For real, after trying many champagnes but I still recommend it to others. I'm biased, but drinking probably 300 bottles in 3 years will do that do you.