Thursday, December 31, 2009

Wedding Cupcakes Pre-Trial

The lovely Miss Amanda from Is This Thing On? will be making the cupcakes for our wedding and kindly stopped by on Christmas Eve Eve to give us a tasting of some of the flavors we'd proposed. And seriously? Did you get a look at that perfect frosting job? Awesome.

We're getting married in the fall, so we wanted to get fall flavors that are nostalgic, seasonal and unique and most of all, reflective of us. Sean's favorite dessert of all time is apple pie and I love anything with Bailey's, so here's where we landed, left to right:
  • Apple cupcakes with homemade vanilla buttercream icing (which will have a caramel drizzle on the day of the wedding).
  • Pumpkin swirl cupcakes
  • Chocolate Guiness cupcakes with Baileys icing
We had a ceremonial tasting and here were our thoughts ("our" including me, Ashleigh, Amanda, Sean and his family):
  • Apple was moist perfection. Seriously. The vanilla buttercream was perfect and I can't wait to try it with caramel drizzle.
  • Pumpkin spice was okay. Sean and his dad loved it; Amanda was on the fence; I thought it was a little more like a muffin than a cupcake.
  • Guiness with Baileys was a revelation. Seriously. The Guiness really only added a layer of flavor to the chocolate and the Baileys was, as always, fabulous. I've had so much Irish Cream lately that I'm almost tired of it ... nah.
We're still open to creative cupcake ideas. I suggested maybe a champagne cupcake; do you have any ideas?

ENTER TO WIN COOKWARE
Cookware.com approached me about giving away any item on their site worth up to $30. To enter, go to this entry and leave a comment about your cooking-related New Year's Resolution.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Cupcakes!

My brother, who "doesn't like cake", ate 6 of the leftover Guinness cupcakes. 1 on the day of the testing, and 5 the next day... in one sitting.

My dad and I were both disappointed to come home to the empty container where the Guinness cupcakes were rumored to have been. My brother felt no shame.

Amber said...

that's awesome. I was describing the caramel apple cupcakes to my maid of honor and she held up her hand halfway through the description and was like, "OMG that sounds amazing." You'll be happy to find out, I was gifted with some cupcake liners for the wedding!