Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Inspiration: White House State Dinner


The Obamas hosted their first state dinner last night, celebrating Indian Prime Minister Singh and his wife. Prior to the event, press was allowed to get a sneak peek at the table settings and decor and the Huffington Post had these shots.

I love that the colors were inspired by the country's bird, the peacock, and are so vibrant. I'm sure someone will say the colors had them dizzy, but I think they're perfectly appropriate. Also, I'm really feeling the gold place settings. I've had my eye on this Mepra set I saw on Oh Joy!.

AND, check this foodie dream of a menu of modern American cuisine with an Indian flair. Love that a Virginia wine made the cut:


Potato and Eggplant Salad
White House Arugula w/ Onion Seed Vinaigrette
2008 Savingnon Blanc, Modus Operandi, Napa Valley

Red Lentil Soup w Fresh Cheese
2006 Riesling, Brooks "Ara", Wilamette Valley
Roast Potato Dumplings w Tomato Chutney
Chick Peas and Okra or Green Curry Prawns w caramelized Salsify w smoke Collard Greens and coconut aged basmati
2007 Granache Beckman Vineyards, Santa Ynez, CA

Pumpkin pie tart
Pear tatin
Whipped Cream and Caramel sauce
Sparkling Chardonnay, Thibaut Janisson Brut, Monticello, VA

Petits fours and Coffee
Cashew Brittle
Pecan Pralines
Passion fruit and vanilla gelees
Chocolate dipped fruit


No comments: