Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Manic Monday Easy Bolognese

Sean has been begging for meat sauce, so I thought yesterday would be a good day to try Giada de Laurentis' Simple Bolognese. Unfortunately, the cards were stacked against me. 

I got home from work around 6:30 and I was already starving, so I ate some chips to tide me over while we went to the grocery store. But then I realized I had forgotten to write a police brief, so I did that really quick and we went to the grocery store a little after 7.

After an hour and a half at the grocery store, we came home and started cooking. By now, I was so weak from hunger I felt like I was going to pass out, so I rushed around the kitchen trying to hurry the bolognese. I have a message for you: you CAN'T hurry bolognese. 

I put the onions and garlic in the stock pot with olive oil and watched them saute. They looked good, so I turned away to shop up some parsley. Sean wandered in and looked at the onions. I said, "Are they soft?" He said, "I guess so." I went over to look and of course, the onions were black. What is with me and onions?

So by then it was 9:15 and I had to start over. DISASTERS. Sean graciously chopped up some more onion, which you can believe I watched like a hawk. 

When the onions were soft, I added carrots and some celery flakes (I refuse to buy a package of celery for one recipe). 

Once the veggies looked tender, I added the meat and when it was no longer pink, added crushed tomatoes, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. 

By the time we sat down to eat our bolognese over rigatoni, I was about to pass out from hunger. I truly have no idea how our parents got dinner on the table every night after work. We've been so busy on the weekends, we couldn't do the groceries. But hopefully, Sean can fly solo on that one. 

No comments: