Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cinnamon Streusel Cake

After making cheesecake (something Sean doesn't eat), I thought I should let him pick out a baked treat and he chose cinnamon streusel cake. For some reason, Sean loves anything cinnamon, apple, gingerbread or spice while I love fruity, chocolate-y desserts. But I figured I could do this one little thing. 

The box mix for this cake is ludicrously easy to whip together, but for some reason, the layering turned out to be my downfall. The directions said to pour half of the batter in the pan, then sprinkle a layer of streusel, then the rest of the batter and streusel on top. For some reason, "half of the batter" translated to "most of it" in my head.

I got this very tall cake, with a thin stripe of streusel almost directly beneath the topping. Failure!

The cake still tastes good of course, but I was hoping it would be a dead ringer for the cinnamon coffee cake at Starbucks. That cake is spongier and moister; any suggestions for how to get that effect?

Sean, of course, was delighted by his cake, which he pronounced delicious. So at least the customer's happy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"That cake is spongier and moister; any suggestions for how to get that effect?"

I'd say add a little mayonnaise or sour cream (no, that's not a typo). They add moisture to the mix and you can't taste it after it's baked :)

Hope that helps!

Meg Tucker

Amanda said...

Pouring batter is a lot like trying to get the last bit of water out of a Nalgene full of ice. Sometimes it works out and other times you end up with ice on your face and water dripping down your chin. I don't know what that means for batter... so perhaps this is a poorly articulated analogy. You get it though, right?