Friday, April 24, 2009

Ready for a challenge?

I feel like I've been slumming it this week, cooking-wise.

For dinner on Thursday, I made:



Cheese tortellini a la vodka. It doesn't get easier, seriously. I'm almost embarrassed to call that cooking, even if it is delicious and simple.

For dunch today, I made:





Tacos! Out of a box! With nothin' fancy!

And they were just as delish as I remembered them, but still, super easy. Even if I did have to call my dad to double-check how to drain meat (seriously, I'm a cooking dunce). He definitely laughed at me, but I just wanted to make sure I did it right.

When I was in high school, my dad made me these same Old El Paso tacos probably once a week. It was, hands-down, my favorite meal and still serves as a comfort food. I love the smell of the packet of spices (who knows what's in there?) and the packet of mild sauce. Once, my friend Jamie's parents served the exact same tacos and I remarked to our friend Sarah that they were good, but they weren't like my dad's. She asked if he put something different in my tacos. I said, "I don't think so. Probably just love."

But now I think I'm ready for more of a challenge, which is probably why it's good that either tomorrow or Sunday, we're having balsamic pork medallions! I love pork medallions, but I won't lie, that tenderloin scares the bejesus out of me. I was heading toward the meat section to pick it up, chatting on my cell phone with my friend Chanelle, when she said, "The grossest thing EVER to touch is pork tenderloin." Great. Let me just pick some up right now.

Even in the package, it feels like those slippery water-filled toys they sell at dollar stores. So gross! So scary! EEEK!

3 comments:

Sara said...

I made tacos for dinner last night. I am the queen of the turkey taco, which is bonus because you don't have to drain the meat. Protip: throw a little salsa in with the taco meat, it is super-delicious.

Joe said...

Yeah, pork tenderloins are all slick and weird. And raw pork always smells funny to me. But man, cooked right, those things are awesome.

Amanda said...

I second both threads here. I <3 tacos from a box... or any tacos really, but I hate raw meat. Ugh. Blech. Gross.

That said, I have some chicken in the fridge that I might cook up tonight. Who knows.